Hello, my lovelies! Welcome back to Glitz & Glitter!
This post is a really down to earth and kind of a “Letter to my past self” kind of thing and it is everything that I wish I knew the past two years of my life. Yes, I am still young and I learn new things every day. I have made a lot of mistakes and I know I will continue to make mistakes and I am still going to learn from them. Life has a way of teaching you things in ways that you never expected.
So here is my list of everything that I have learned and things that I wish I had known, especially these past two years!
- People will always disappoint you. No matter who they are, no matter how much you love them, people will always disappoint you.
- People are going to leave you, but you are better off without them in the end. People leave, they migrate towards others, and they change. You won’t always be a part of that change and that is perfectly okay. In most cases, you are better off without them in your life, even if you can’t see it immediately.
- The sadness doesn’t last forever. It’s okay to be sad and cry until you don’t think you can anymore, but don’t dwell on it forever. Some people simply aren’t worth it. Wipe your eyes, kid. There are better days on the horizon.
- Life throws a lot at you, but you can handle it. Trying to figure out what to do when everything seems to be going wrong at once is hard, but with good head on your shoulders, you can figure it out.
- Get to know a person really well before you truly let them into your circle of life. Be patient. There are amazing people out there in the world, but you won’t always meet them first. Don’t just let anyone in your close circle of friends and your personal life. Not everyone deserves that. Have a circle of your family and best friends, then just friends, and then everyone else. That girl you were friends with for years who dropped you and then comes back with a “hey, it’s been forever and I miss you!” doesn’t need to hear about the past year and all of the drama that it had. She is on outskirts of the “friends” circle and is about to get booted out. Again, people drift and go make other friends. That’s the way of life.
- Just because you make one mistake, you aren’t a failure! You aren’t a failure, ever. People make mistakes and they learn from them. Just take a deep breath, take a moment to compose yourself, and then ask “Okay, how can I learn from this? What can I take away from this situation?”.
- Listening to Billie Holiday and pretending to be a fancy woman from the 1930s or 40s is always a good idea. Sure, some people may not see it as “mature”, but that’s their opinion! Be awesome and listen to your Billie Holiday tunes!
- Never be afraid to ask questions. Always ask questions! Even if you feel a little stupid for having to ask, do it anyway.
- Unplugging from people, social media, etc. is fine! You don’t have to put your life out there constantly or be the person who tweets the most. Keeping your life private is great! If you start to get frustrated, tired, annoyed, or stressed because of anything, stop and take time to de-stress. You need time to yourself and always take that.
- You don’t need to look a certain way to be awesome. You can be awesome as a size 32 or a size 2. Your clothing size does not define your worth as a human being. Just walk with you head up and own the room.
- Success comes slowly. Having big dreams is awesome and you should always go for them, but remember that Rome wasn’t built in a single day. You are going to have to put work, effort, and time into your dreams to watch them happen. Work for it and you will be rewarded.
- You won’t always have answers. While it bugs the ever loving sanity out of you, you won’t always have answers to “Why”, “When”, or “Who”. And as hard as that is to cope with, it’s okay. You don’t always need to know why, when, or who.
- Even when life gets hectic, focus on the good things. There are so many bad things that happen in the world and that happen to you. But dwelling on them won’t make your life any happier. Instead of being sad all the time, look towards things that bring a light to your life and strive to make a change in the world. One voice may seem small, but it can move mountains.
- Never be afraid to speak your mind! People are always going to want to shut you up, tell you to be quiet and bugger off, that you don’t know anything, but never let that silence you.
- You are strong, smart, lovely, and everything amazing. Sometimes it gets really easy to put yourself down and constantly be critical of yourself, but remember the fabulous words of Aibileen Clark: “You is kind, you is smart, you is important.” Never forget that.
- Don’t say anything in the heat of the moment! Just hold your tongue and think about it for a minute! Yes, you have a temper, you are strong-willed, and you have a quick and sharp tongue, but you can speak words of destruction in the middle of a verbal battle with another person. Just take a moment to breath, think before you speak, and choose what you say.
- Do whatever you need to do to calm down. Life can get to be very overwhelming but you do whatever is necessary to calm down. Listen to music, watch a movie, call someone, whatever you need to do. Life always moves on and gets crazy.
The past two years have been insane for me. I’ve made friends, I’ve lost people who were friends, I have come to grips with myself, and I have met a whole lot of new people who are absolutely amazing! I still have to try to remind myself daily that sometimes, things just aren’t going to work out the way you want and they won’t always be the same. I’m trying to cope with all of the changes in my life and the things that I think are absolutely terrifying. The thing about me is I am not a huge fan of changes. I get overwhelmed and I start to freak out a bit. I think most people do, in their own way. But life is always moving on, the earth still rotates. I just have to learn to go with the flow.
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! I know it is different than what I usually post, but I feel like it is a good difference to have.
What are some things that you have learned in the past 2 years? Comment below!
I hope you have a fabulous weekend and as always, don’t forget to smile!